How’s your bracket doing? Well over here at FindaBaller, all of our brackets are pretty busted, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy the final games this weekend. Some teams like Gonzaga made their March Madness mark and have since turned into a contender in the Mountain West Conference.
In celebration of a number 8 seed, Kentucky, and number 7 seed, UConn, we’re counting down our Top 5 Cinderella moments of the NCAA Tournament.
5. Valparaiso University‘s “The Shot” in the 1998 NCAA Tournament. Not only does this game get a chance to be in our March Madness Top Moments, but it’s also part of our NCAA Cinderella moments. #13 seed Valparaiso beat #4 seed Ole Miss in the first round of the 1998 NCAA Tournament 70-69.
4. VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) busted brackets as the #11 seed Rams made their way to the 2011 Final Four by defeating the top seeded Kansas Jayhawks 63-57. The Rams had to compete in a pre-tournament “play-in game” to even make it into the bracket.
3. George Mason, the original VCU, shocked the hoops world in 2006 as a #11 seed to reach the Final Four. The Patriots had never won a NCAA tournament game before their big run to the Final Four, knocking off Michigan State in the first round and UConn, featuring future NBA star Rudy Gay in the Elite 8.
2. Villanova was an #8 seed in the 1985 NCAA Tournament who won the national title with a 66-64 victory over top seeded Georgetown.
1. Butler of Indiana (who also plays games in the Hinkle Fieldhouse were many scenes from the Hoosiers were filmed, made a run in the 2010 tournament as a #8 seed that made it to the national title game and then was able to made a return trip in 2011.
What’s your favorite NCAA Cinderella moment? Let us know!